I am proud of my work record serving the city for over 30 years. My continual work experiences and education have been focused on better serving every Waveland citizen and visitor. As your mayor, I have completed courses on governmental leadership, I learned how to govern a city within the unique rules and regulations on local, state and national levels. I have taken the opportunities afforded me as your mayor to form relationships and friendships with officials on all these levels. This first term has been a solid foundation for me to continue to move Waveland forward in the next four years.
- Waveland Mayor: elected 2014- present
- Waveland Fire Chief 2010-2014
- Community Rating System (CRS) coordinator 2010-2014.
- Assistant Fire Chief: 1999-2010
- Auxiliary firefighter: 1988. Promoted through the years from full time firefighter to Lieutenant/Training Officer and then Captain.
- Waveland Hazard Mitigation Plan Administrator, Waveland is the first city to include sea level rise in a hazard mitigation plan.
- Organizer of the Waveland Blighted Property Program. This program Qualifications in 2011 and over 300 properties have become compliant with city codes and ordinances.
- Successful grant writer. Successfully submitted and was awarded the following grants totally more than $1,750,000.00.
- 2001 grant for the Scotty Fire Safety Trailer,
- 2003 fire equipment grant for $189,000.00
- 2008 staffing grant for 9 firefighters
- As Chief, oversaw the process of purchasing Waveland’s first 78-foot ladder truck for $ 704,000.00 using insurance rebate monies-at no cost to the taxpayer.
- Champion for Waveland receiving the storm ready designation again in 2012. In 2002, the United States Department of Commerce National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration awarded the City of Waveland the status of being a Nationally Recognized Storm Ready Community. Waveland received this recognition for the ability to respond to and mitigate the impact of weather hazards to the citizens and community of Waveland. Waveland lost its storm ready designation after Katrina since we were in trailers. Waveland was the first Storm Ready Community on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and remains only 1 of 3 cities on coastal MS to have this designation.
- Graduated from Bay High School.
- Completed a wide range of Fire and Emergency Management training from a variety of organizations such as:
- Mississippi Fire Academy,
- National Emergency Training Center in Emmitsburg, Maryland
- National Hurricane Conferences,
- Fire Education Network,
- Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
- Certified by the Mississippi Fire Certification Board as a Fire Firefighter 1001 I, II, and III and as a Fire Service Instructor I and II. Finished top of his class for all of the above
- National Red Cross CPR Instructor
- Completed training in the National Incident Management System (NIMS) FEMA IS-100, FEMA IS-200, FEMA IS-300, FEMA IS-400, FEMA IS-700 and National Response Plan FEMA IS-800.NIMS has become the gold standard for emergency preparedness.
CERTIFICATIONS COMPLETED WHILE SERVING AS MAYOR 2015-current
- Hancock Chamber of Commerce Leadership Academy graduate
- Basic Level Certification: Certified Municipal of Officials Course (CMO)
- Advanced Level Certification: Certified Municipal of Officials Course (CMO)
- University of Southern Mississippi True South Basic Economic Development Course
- Recipient of 2017 Charles Ueltschey Scholarship for Municipal and County Elected Officials
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Firefighter of the Year Award for 1989, 1992 and 1994
- Waveland Fire Department Appreciation Award for 1989
- City of Waveland Dedicated Service Award for 1990
- American Legion Outstanding Service Award for 1990
- Waveland Civic Association (WCA) Outstanding Service Award for 1997
- Hancock County Sheriff’s Department Appreciation Award for 2001
- In 2001, assisted with achieving The City of Waveland National Flood Insurance Program (CRS) Community Rating System received the 2001 Overall Innovation Award presented by The John C. Stennis Institute of Government, in cooperation with the sponsorship of the Mississippi Municipal League.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND COMMUNITY VOLUNTEERISM
- President of the Hancock County Civil Service Commission.
- Chairman of the Hancock County 911 Commission
- Associate Fire Instructor for the Mississippi State Fire Academy serving six coastal counties. (1992 – 2002)
- Member of the Association of Floodplain Managers of Mississippi.
- Member of MCDEMA (Mississippi Civil Defense/Emergency Management Association)
- Active member Keep Waveland Beautiful Committee
- Member of the Waveland Civic Association. Served as secretary of that association from 1999-2002.
- Member of Bay St. Louis Masonic Lodge No 429
- Member of the International Association of Fire Chiefs
- Member of the Mississippi Fire Chiefs/Firefighters Association
- Member of the National Fire Protection Association